The Benefits of Storytelling
The early stages of childhood are full of questions and imagination. As children grow, they become curious to learn more. Storytelling is a perfect way to foster your child’s imagination and teach them about life, the world, and themselves. Not only is this a great way to bond with your child, it’s also incredibly beneficial for their development.
- Reading and telling stories can increase your child’s ability to express themselves. It encourages them to communicate their thoughts, feelings, and ideas. It also opens their eyes to other people’s thoughts and emotions.
- When you are storytelling, frequently pause and ask your child questions about what is happening and how it makes them feel. You can also ask them how they think the characters in the story feel as different things happen in the book.
- Storytelling teaches your child to follow a plot and understand a story, enhancing their concentration and listening skills.
- When you are storytelling, pause to ask your child to recall some of the details to ensure they understand.
- Stories showcase different lifestyles and cultures, shaping the way our children view the world. When children appreciate cultural diversity, it allows for more harmonious and respectful relationships with others as they grow.
- Storytelling encourages children to be creative and use their imagination to visualize the setting and characters, and to associate images with certain words.
Invite your child to participate in storytelling by asking them what they think is going to happen next. This encourages them to think on their own and stimulates their creativity.
- Children absorb words during infancy and acquire the vocabulary they use as they grow by listening to those around them. Storytelling is an excellent way for your child to learn new words and their meanings. Children with a wide vocabulary have an easier time expressing themselves and communicating with others.
Besides being entertaining, storytelling offers many benefits for your child’s development. It is a great way to connect with them and will impact their childhood in positive ways. So choose an engaging book to read, share a personal experience, or recreate their favorite movie’s plot, and watch your child plunge into the world of stories!
Child development resources and tips
delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for our newsletter.
Wyoming Department of Health
Copyright © Screen for Success All Rights Reserved